In 1983, a group of churches from varying denominations, along with several social service agencies, got together to address an underlying problem facing many individuals and families in St. Louis’ south city: unemployment. The groups held the ideal that employment is more than a way of making ends meet. Employment is the root to healthy pride in one’s self, family, and community. Together, they founded the Near Southside Employment Coalition (NSEC), a non-profit agency dedicated to helping people become self-sufficient through long-term employment.
NSEC is its own 501© (3) nonprofit. We provide comprehensive employment services at no cost to our clients. Our group focuses on helping people with significant challenges and obstacles enter the workplace and achieve long-term employment.
Our mission is to help eliminate unemployment, empower residents to improve their standard of living, provide comprehensive employment services, and stabilize families and communities through long-term employment.
The goal of NSEC is to reduce and eliminate unemployment on the Near Southside by:
- Developing job referral relationships with employers across the metropolitan area
- Screening and referring qualified applicants for available positions
- Providing job skills through training at our locations
- Training for job readiness and motivation
- Working to reduce artificial barriers to employment